Monday, August 27, 2012

A Dilemma

We have a serious dilemma on our hands today. You all know how much I've loved homeschooling Joy, and how successful it's been for her. And how she is strong-willed and self-directed.

Well, the public choice school that we tried to get her into, a Montessori school, called today to say they have an opening. Did we want to send Joy? Um.....NO.  Um.... YES. YIKES!

We love what our family is doing right now, but we know Joy would also love spending more time with a group of kids. We know that we are still in the process of leaving our town eventually, and fewer transitions might be a good thing, so homeschooling makes sense.

Our original decision in applying for the Montessori school was that the teaching style fits Joy's learning style. She would have some choice in how her time is spent, some control over her day. Plus, since it's a public school, it wouldn't be prohibitive tuition-wise. When she was denied entrance, homeschooling was the choice we made.

But if we send her to the Montessori school, she will still get plenty of mom-time because it's a half-day program. Joy would automatically be accepted into the Montessori program next year (and following years), which, if we're here, would be a better placement for her than the local public school.

I realize that part of my reluctance to send Joy to public school kindergarten is my own sense of purpose and fun in homeschooling her. That's a bad reason to homeschool, though. I will enjoy having a bit of time to work on my glass art, and I will still have a half day with Joy, if we send her to school.

Argh! I wish I knew the "Right" answer... except perhaps there isn't one. Perhaps Joy will thrive and succeed in learning in either environment. I know that my husband and I will pray over this decision, and make the best decision we can with the information we have on hand. Watch for the next blog entry to find out what we decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment